Skip to main content

West Jordan Journal

Major roadway to open in time for Pioneer Day

Jul 22, 2015 04:52PM ● By Bryan Scott

West Jordan - The following press release was sent out by the West Jordan City offices earlier today. 

(West Jordan, UT) – West Jordan, in partnership with UDOT and West Valley City, will reopen 5600 West from 6200 South to 7000 South on July 24. The roadway has been closed to traffic since February to accommodate an accelerated construction schedule as crews reconstructed and widened the road. Construction crews have stayed on schedule with the reopening despite heavy rains in past months. 

“Completion of this project not only benefits West Jordan but also the whole west side of the valley,” said Mayor Kim V. Rolfe. “Expanding the road from two lanes to five lanes will help traffic move more efficiently and accommodate the expected increase in traffic volume in the coming years.”

Kilgore Contracting completed the project, which totaled over $6 million. Federal grant money paid for about 93 percent of the project, with West Jordan and West Valley contributing the remaining 7 percent. 

The new five-lane roadway includes:

·       sidewalks on both sides of 5600 West

·       improved streetlight coverage along the roadway and at the intersections of 7000 South and 6200 South

·       a new traffic signal at the intersection of 5600 West and 7000 South

·       shoulders for bike lanes from 6200 South to 7000 South

·       an improved roadway drainage system to decrease the chances of flooding for neighborhoods adjacent to 5600 West


A similar project is planned for 5600 West from 7800 South to 8600 South. This section of roadway is currently being designed.